For each vacancy that occurs at our school (*except principal), the principal will select an ad hoc interview committee of no fewer than three people. This committee’s membership will include the principal and at least one certified staff member that has knowledge of the position to be hired. Effort should be made to include at least one parent and one member of the PLC from which the vacancy occurred. At least one Council member other than the principal is required to be on the committee, unless none of the members are available to serve during the interview process. The principal will chair the Interview Committee.
* See the Principal Selection Policy for procedures for this vacancy.
The Following items need to be accomplished
CRITERIA AND INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
The Interview Committee will meet in OPEN SESSION to:
- Develop a set of criteria for a strong candidate. These criteria will not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity/race, marriage or family status, religion, political affiliation, disability, age, or other illegal grounds.
- Use the criteria they have developed to write standard interview questions that fit those criteria. These questions will be asked of all candidates in an in-person interview.
- Decide on other methods to use to gather information about how well the candidates meet the criteria. The methods may include (but not be limited to) some or all of the following: applications and résumés, references, written interviews, portfolios, and written responses to hypothetical work-related challenges.
APPLICATIONS AND REFERENCES
The principal will screen and select viable candidates to interview based on the input from the committee.
Once the selection of candidates to be interviewed has been completed, the Principal (or designee) will schedule an interview with each selected applicant at a time when all Interview Committee members can attend and call special meetings of the Interview Committee for each of those scheduled interview times. The following procedures will be followed during scheduled interviews:
- Each interview will occur in a CLOSED SESSION of the Interview Committee.
- All the standardized questions will be asked of each candidate in the same order.
- Following the standardized questions, specialized questions (if any) and follow-up questions (if any) will be asked.
- Committee members will briefly discuss the merits of each candidate following the interview.
CONSULTATION WITH THE COUNCIL
Once all interviews are complete, the Interview Committee will meet in CLOSED SESSION to discuss how well each applicant meets the criteria, offer comments on the contributions each could make, and provide any additional input requested by the principal.
After interviews are complete, the council will meet in CLOSED SESSION to receive the Interview Committee’s report, discuss the applicants, offer comments on the contributions each could make, and provide any additional input requested by the principal.
If a quorum of the council fails to attend this meeting, the principal may either call another meeting or declare an emergency and conduct the required consultation with the council members present so the hiring process can continue.
SELECTION OF THE PERSON TO BE HIRED
After considering the input from all the closed session meetings, the principal will make the final selection of the person he or she believes will contribute most to the success of the school’s students and notify the superintendent and council of his or her choice. The decision made by the principal is binding on the superintendent who will complete the hiring process.
EXTRA-DUTY ASSIGNMENTS AND POSITIONS
Extra-duty assignments and positions include paid or unpaid duties beyond the instructional day or beyond the contract days of a teacher. When only persons currently working at our school will be considered, the principal will make the assignment following our policy on Instructional and Non-Instructional Staff Time Assignment. When persons currently not working at our school will be considered, this policy on consultation will be followed by the principal, the council, and the ad hoc Interview Committee appointed by the council.
We will evaluate the effectiveness of this policy through our School Improvement Planning Process.
Date Adopted: _2-8-12__
Date Reviewed or Revised: _____ Council Chairperson’s Initials _____