Hardin County Schools will accept Out of District applications between December 1, 2022 and March 30, 2023 for the 2023-24 school year.
Here are several items that out-of-district applicants should know:
- Out-of-district applications must be completed for HCS students whose parents desire for them to attend a school in the district that is not the school to which they are districted. The application must also be completed for students whose parents live in another school district and desire them to attend a particular HCS school.
- Interested parties should go to the website that belongs to the school they prefer to attend to complete the application. Those applications are on each school’s website under the “Quick Links” tab. School websites can be found on the HCS website (hardin.kyschools.us) and by clicking the “Schools” tab.
- The application window is open between December 1, 2022 and March 30, 2023. Applicants will not be notified of the principal’s decision until after March 30 but before April 19, 2023.
- The decision is made by the school’s principal. Several factors go into the decision-making process, i.e., building capacity, grade-level capacity, the record of student attendance, etc.
- This process is not a “first-come-first-serve” process. In other words, just because an application may be completed on December 1, the student(s) is/are not guaranteed acceptance.
- HCS does not provide transportation to out-of-district students. If a student is accepted out-of-district, parents must provide transportation for that student daily.
- Parents who have students in a “transition” grade this year MUST apply at the elementary/middle/high school they want their child to attend next year. In other words, if a student is in fifth grade this year, he/she will not automatically attend sixth grade at the middle school in that particular feeder pattern. The parent must apply for that particular middle school. The same is true for eighth-graders going into ninth grade (high school) and for this year’s out-of-district North Park Elementary kindergarten students who would be promoted to first grade and parents desire for them to attend Meadow View, Radcliff, Vine Grove or Woodland.
- Current out-of-district students do not need to reapply unless they are transitioning (see the above bullet point).
Any questions should be directed to the school the parents desire for their child to attend.